Mandate of Grameen Communications
According to its mandate Grameen Communications aims to accomplish the following objectives:
- Develop and implement system solutions which include customized, application software development, internet based products & services and human resource development i.e. technical training of staff, both at national and international levels.
- Develop and implement system solution for microcredit operations.
- Promote development of communication and ancillary services for free flow of information and knowledge to accelerate social and economic development.
- Establish a cost effective Internet access point that will be available to a broad range of educational and research institutions, social organizations and government agencies.
- Develop a network that would meet the communication needs of educational institutions, centers of higher learning, research institutions, non-government and government offices.
- Provide communication services that promote and support researchers, educators, planners, students, designers, news media, social activists and entrepreneurs, for improving their access to the national and global information.
- Initiate the integration of Grameen Bank’s office system which is dispersed all over rural Bangladesh, with Internet facilities between the Head Office, Zonal Offices and Branch offices.
- Promote rural development in Bangladesh through ICT.
- Provide communication services ISDN, fiber optics, internet, intranet, data network and advanced information technology services in Bangladesh.
The rationale behind undertaking ICT based projects in remote areas is the following:
- Provide a comprehensive range of MIS related service to facilitate Grameen bank’s nationwide microcredit operations.
- Make information available to all
- Promote employment generation through ICT in rural areas
- Widen the scope for people to participate in a broad range of economic activities.
- Reduce the digital divide.